Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Transition from Life to Lifeless

A fraction of second! A fraction of second is all it took to see the person who gave life to me, who taught life to me, lying in my arms, “lifeless”. No time to know what happened, no time to do anything to retain that “life” in himself.

A second before, he was there, full of dreams, thoughts, plans for all the time to come. And in a fraction of second, all those dreams, plans ceased to exist.

The impact of this transition is cruel.

10 minutes after that massive cardiac arrest, we reach the hospital to seek help to keep him alive. And the first thing people around, in the hospital, refer to him as “Body”. Before even the doctor saw my dad, people around, certified him lifeless!

15 minutes later, the doctor certified that my dad is dead. My dad is no more in possession of his life. 8.45AM 9th February, he was declared dead. The day had just begun, signalling the end of my dad’s life.

He did not respond to his wife’s touch, his daughter’s or his son-in-law’s call.

40 minutes later, my dad was lying lifeless in the car, as we travelled to reach home.

4 hours later, the Eye surgeon, cut his eyes, in open. He did not cry out of pain.

8 hours later, the priest referred to him as “preta”. He did not deny. It took 12 days to certify that he is now a soul, resting in peace.

9 hours later, he was put on the pyre. He didn’t complain.

9 hours before, He dreamt, He planned, He lived.

His journey of 58 years ends. Not only His dreams end, but also our dreams with him come to a ruthless end. None of us thought that he would go away, never to return.

All it took is a fraction of second!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dilated Wings said...

A fraction of second is all that is reqd. to make normal people into living legends

A fraction of second is all that is reqd. to bring ack all the memories of a lifetime

A fraction of one single second is all that is reqd. to miss that one person who means so much to you,but which was never realised till that very moment

I have been thru something like this...Its hard i know

My condolences

But remember all it took is a fraction of a second to know how much one person loved you, you were his rock star...It just happens and you cant do anything about it

2:02 PM  
Blogger Ashwini Bhat said...

Hello Shyam,

Thanks for sharing your memories, pain.

Death, is a ruthless truth we cannot escape from.

We can just feel lonely, miss him, or just feel helpless.

If someone asked me to back in time, I want to go back to that hour where his heart attack could have been stopped.

At the end you know that he won't come back. You know that you can't do anything to revert that fraction of second.

4:28 PM  
Blogger VasuDev Behere said...

Ashwini,
its very depressing to learn about it, but take time and learn.
I lost my father in similar circumstances.. he was 59 when he expired...

11:11 PM  
Blogger Ashwini Bhat said...

My condolences. It's such a disheartening experience. Coming to terms with the loss is not an easy job, though we know the reality.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Ashwini,
I have read the story of separation of your dad from his body. Can I answer me one question?
A daughter brought up by parents for 22 years, suddenly gets a friend, never informs her parents and flew to unknown place along with her friend... and not traced till date. Whether she is no more for parents ..? (Explain in terms of attachment, love, belief, morality, sincerety and mother & child relation in this world)

11:35 AM  
Blogger ModernPhilosopher said...

Ashwini, you have captured a lot of emotions in this small simple blog entry. It is amazing how fast things can change, things that we take for granted are gone in a fraction. I know its been a while since your father passed away still my condolences to you! I am sure his soul is resting in peace.

I have seen that you have not written any blogs in a while, but I went through a bunch of posts and found them interesting. If you have time you should consider writing again!

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home