Friday, August 26, 2005

Krishna Janmashtami



Today's Krishna Jayanthi. I read yesterday about one interesting thing. Krishna was born on Ekadashi, Simha rashi, and Rohini Nakshatra day(according to Hindu Calendar). Not every year Rohini nakshatra coincides on his bday. The year all these coincide, it's called as Krishna Jayanti, and when not it's called as Krishna Janmashtami. :) This time it's Krishna Jayanti.

Krishna- had many roles. Known for his love-play with gopika's and Radha, his childhood pranks, killing (samhaara) demons, ruling his kingdom, a wise adivsor to the Pandava's, especially Arjun etc.

Krishna, means different to different people. For lovelorn, Krishna is an idol of love. For the knowledge-seeker He is the knowledge, for the common man he is the Bhagavad Geetha.

For me, Krishna is anything and everything. A messenger of love and peace. He is always with the people who come to him with love. He seeks abundance of love and nothing else. He inspires me for divine love and provokes me to share it. He always guides me and supports me. He is with me always. Yes, I go emotional when it comes to talking about Krishna, the Lord.

I read one interesting story about Him: Krishna passes by Duryodhana's house. Duryodhana for the sake of formality, invites Krishna for food. Krishna replies "Man has to eat in two circumstances 1. when he is hungry and 2. When he is served with love. You never invite me with love and I am never hungry" and moves to Vidhur's house. Vidhur, minister for Kaurava kingdom, and his wife are overwhelmed with Krishna's arrival. Vidhur's wife with happiness and joy, peels banana skin, throws away the fruit and offers him the peel. Krishna accepts it.

Such a beautiful story! He does what he says and he means it. He is committed to his devotees more than the devotees being committed to him!

I am eagerly waiting to celebrate his B'day, what about you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Nimmy said...

ash,
you wont believe it....i got goose bumps reading this post of yours...feel like seeing krishna! :-)
bring him home, will you? :)

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too! Wonderful piece. I wish I had seen your blog earlier, to give you instantaneous comments on the fun I had this Krishna Jayanthi!

Lovely words, they can't be more true. Krishna is this beautiful paradoxical God, who knows to be cunning, yet true. Playful, yet tough. Divine, yet human :)

Indeed, he represents the God, that we don't really need to see in an idol, but in our very life.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home